Tips for buying a used caravan
If you have decided to buy a used caravan it’s important to do a bit of research to make sure you purchase a van that’s in good shape. We recommend purchasing a used caravan from a licensed dealer as they most likely will include a limited warranty and will also give the caravan a thorough check before it leaves their dealership.
Choosing a dealer that is part of their local caravan and camping industry association is a good place to start. Being a member of these associations means dealers are required to adhere to code of ethics and strive to uphold the best standards in this industry.
To get you started we have put together some points to consider when buying a used caravan:
- Find out the weight to determine if your car can safely tow the caravan. Check the TARE, the empty weight of the caravan and the ATM, the loaded weight. This legal responsibility falls on you to make sure that you don’t exceed the weight limits.
- Check the title of ownership for the used caravan and ensure there is no finance outstanding or that it isn’t stolen.
- Check that the VIN plates match all documentation.
- Check that the manufacturer still exists and spare parts are available for the particular used caravan.
- Ask if the van has been involved in any accidents and if there have been any major repairs completed on the used caravan.
- Give the caravan a once over and check for corrosion or damage.
- Make sure the caravan is water tight and there is no sign of dampness. Water penetration can cause a lot of damage to caravans.
- Check everything in the used caravan is working.
- If you are buying from a dealer ask if they complete a pre delivery inspection on the caravan to make sure everything is working before it leaves their dealership.
- Check if there is any warranty included with the used caravan and what is covered.
We hope these tips help get you started with buying a used caravan. If you have any further questions feel free to call one of our sales staff in Adelaide on 08 8261 8442.